Just Roots and the Greenfield Community Farm – Employment opportunities
All full-time and part-time paid positions for 2018 have been filled.
We do have work-for share positions, and un-paid internships available. See below:
Grow Vegetables with us!
The Greenfield Community Farm, a project of Just Roots, located in Greenfield, Massachusetts, is seeking Interns for the 2018 growing season. We are looking for responsible, hard-working and enthusiastic people with whom to share the challenges and rewards of growing healthy food and a sustainable community while we learn from one another.
Who We Are:
Just Roots is a non-profit organization working to increase access to healthy, local food by connecting people, land, resources and know-how. We believe healthy food should be a right, not a privilege. Our programs bring nutrition education, connection to the land and a bounty of fruits and vegetables to our community members, with particular focus on bringing these opportunities to high-risk and low-income residents. The Greenfield Community Farm’s produce, land and team are key to making our mission a reality.
On the farm, we use organic methods to manage a diverse vegetable operation on a little less than 10 acres that produces food for a 300-member CSA, farmer’s markets, wholesale accounts, farm-to-school projects and other community events and partnerships. We are a farm focused on building community, both on and off farm, which means that we are interacting with people of all ages through farm programs, community events, hosting volunteers and providing a space for community gardeners.
We are seeking people who are excited about sustainable farming and eager to take on the wide range of responsibilities associated with running a physically demanding, fast-paced, public and busy production farm. We are also looking for people with a strong commitment to social justice in the food system and a desire to help build a strong, healthy and vibrant food movement in Franklin county.
2018 Summer and Fall Internships
Great for High-school and College Students!
Who You Are:
You are responsible, flexible and personable, and interested in learning about small-scale intensive agriculture by participating, hands on, with our small farm crew. You’re ready to take on the physically demanding schedule, tasks, pace and inevitable challenges of the farm season with consistency and good humor. You’re ready each day to learn, take direction well, be patient with yourself and others and are excited about working intensely with all types of people. You have the ability and interest to work outside in any type of weather – wind, rain, heat, cold; can comfortably and safely lift and carry 40 lbs.
There is also a farmer-in-training aspect to this internship, through which you have the opportunity and expectation to participate in group and individual check-ins and goal setting throughout your time with us. Ideally you are able and interested in sharing your goals and participating in feedback sessions with your fellow crew members.
Specific Job Requirements:
- Greenhouse work
- Crop production; including but not limited to: weed management, harvesting, transplanting, work in our two unheated high tunnels, and overall land stewardship on our property.
- Enthusiasm for working with volunteers and visitors out in the field—you may lead individual volunteers and group volunteers of all abilities in field tasks.
- Post-harvest tasks—wash, pack and organize produce for our markets
- Distribution: assist with tasks related to our farmer’s market and CSA distributions—you will gain experience in customer service.
- Be clean and organized! We pay close attention to creating a clean and organized farm—you must be respectful of using shared tools and space.
- Desire to participate in the Just Roots community while at work—participate in weekly potluck lunches, and in daily morning meetings with the farm crew—you must like working with other people!
- Ability to show up on time every day and be excited about working for a farm that find success in routine and structure—while finding joy in the way farm work can change from day to day. (in other words, be adaptable, while enjoying structure!)
- Drivers license preferred
- Ability to lift up to 40 pounds regularly & ability and willingness to work in often uncomfortable physical positions for short or long periods of time (example: we work on our hands and knees often and we work outside in all weather).
Check us out:
Compensation and Hours:
This is 12-week summer internship from June-August, or a 12-week Fall internship from Sept-November. We are also open to doing a 24-week internship from June-November. Other flexible start and end dates are possible, depending on the candidate. This is a 15-25 hour/week position, five hours per day, three to five mornings per week.
In exchange for your work, you will have access to lots of farm veggies, discounted farm meat and a $50 educational stipend to put towards a conference or resources of your choosing.
If you think you may be a good fit for an Intern position at the Greenfield Community Farm/Just Roots, please send your resume and cover letter to Director of Farm Operations, Meryl LaTronica at: firstname.lastname@example.org or, you can reach us at: 413-325-8969
Volunteer at Just Roots! Work for your Share!
Just Roots is looking for some dedicated volunteers! Are you interested in working with us one morning a week in the fields in exchange for a CSA share? Are you up to the physically challenging work of being out in the fields in all weather? Do you like to work with people? Are you willing to make a 24-week (season-long) commitment to be at our farm once a week? Let us know!
Reach us at: email@example.com to connect about being a regular volunteer with us for 2018!