from Forgotten Skills of Cooking by Darina Allen
- 3 tablespoons butter
- ½ cup chopped onions
- 1 medium potato, peeled and chopped
- salt and freshly ground black pepper
- 1 quart Chicken Stock
- 5oz young nettles, washed and chopped
- ½ cup whole milk
- Melt the butter in a heavy saucepan.
- When it foams, add the chopped onion and potato, and toss them in the butter until well coated.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper.
- Cover with a piece of parchment paper (to trap the steam) and the saucepan lid, and cook over low heat for 10 minutes, or until the vegetables are soft but not colored.
- Discard the parchment paper, add the stock, and boil until the vegetables are just cooked.
- Add the nettle leaves and simmer uncovered for just a few minutes. Do not overcook or the vegetables will lose their flavor.
- Add the milk and puree in a blender.
- Taste and correct seasoning if necessary.